Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today is Tuesday, You Know What That Means....2-10-09


Today is Tuesday.
You know what that means.
We're gonna have a Special Guest!!

Today's special guest was requested by Edie at Rich Gifts....(ok, that was probably redundant, because if you are here then you Must know that Edie is from Rich Gifts. Never-the-Less, here is a link to Edie's blog...just ...in ....case ...you ....aren't ...in ....the ..... loop ....... yet ......

The gentleman in this clip is definitely in my top 5 list of all time favorite actors. Well, I don't actually have a list, but if I did, he would definitely be on it. Hhmmm...maybe I'll make a list...

Monkeys Are Funny...

Dick Van Dyke stars as Caractacus Potts in the outstanding movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
This clip is from the song and dance act Me Ol' Bamboo.

Trivia...

1. Mr Van Dyke was noted saying that Me Ol' Bamboo was one of the most difficult dancing acts he ever undertook.
2. This movie was released in 1968 and Dick Van Dyke was 43 years old. (If you saw Chatty Kelly's post last Tuesday, you may notice that that is just 1 year younger than the actor was that played Uncle Remus in Song of the South).
3. Lionel Jeffries, the man that played Grandpa Potts, was actually 6 months YOUNGER than Van Dyke.
4. Coggins, the junk dealer that sold Potts the car, was played by Desmond Llewelyn. Mr. Llewelyn later went on to play the part of "Q" , the man responsible for developing all the gadgets in the James Bond films.

Well, what are you waiting for?
Me Ol' Bamboo!!
">

9 comments:

Kelly said...

That looks like me in aerobics class. LOL!! Heading there now.

I LOVE that one!

Karen Hossink said...

I always enjoy your guests. *grin*
I have never seen this before, but it reminded me of teh chimney-sweep scene in Mary Poppins. (That was Dick VanDyke, too, wasn't it?)

My son came over when he heard the music and commented that it must have taken a lot of practice to perform that number. Thanks to your bits of trivia, I could affirm his observation.

Happy Tuesday!

My ADHD Me said...

A bit more trivia. The last part of the dance where they all jump over the stick and do a flip, took 23 takes because each time somebody would miss. Also, Dick Van Dyke was at least 20 years older than the other dancers.

Debbie said...

That was great! What talent.

Kelly said...

(if you know the storyline) Don't you just love how he happens into dance routine, but becomes the soloist and center dancer.

Edie said...

I LOVE this! Thank you for filling my request, and this is the best video you could have chosen for him.

You must have remembered that I said this was my daughter's favorite part of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. She learned the bamboo dance pretty well. When she was a child, I was sure she would be a coreographer (sp?) when she grew up.

This was great! Now I need to go watch the movie. Yes I have that one. :)

I was thinking the same thing Kelly said about him beoming the lead dancer. Don't you wish you could pull something like that off? Ha!

Kelly said...

Interesting to read all the goofs in the movie....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062803/goofs

Sue J. said...

As classic as he is here, to see the famous prat fall down the stairs and over the hassock in The Dick VanDyke Show illustrates his amazing sense of timing, flexibility and perfection. Not to mention funny!

The faces, the voices, the dancing, the singing. He's just wonderful....

HisPrincess said...

Yes it does remind me of the chimney sweep in Mary Poppins!