Friday, November 7, 2008

How to Ruin a Touching Moment in 5 Seconds or Less

I occasionally babysit for Chatty Kelly. I earn some extra money and it gives her some free time for the essentials, (manicures, pedicures, shopping etc).

Of course I only charge her to babysit for that type of thing. She knows that I would never let her pay me to watch her children for "family" stuff. You know, when you need help for something or any kind of emergency etc.

Well, yesterday was one of those "family" things. Her husband had a medical procedure done (don't worry, not serious...although he may say otherwise when the pain medication wears off). As it is with most hospitals, they were able to give her an approx "window of time" for when she could expect to go home. The staff assured her that they would be finished some time between 4:00PM and whenever.

She knew it would be a long day. The hospital told her that there would be 3 patients before them but that she and hubby still needed to be there early so the doctors wouldn't have to wait between patients.

And it was a long day for everyone. She finally got home around 9:30PM (she had been there since morning). We were both tired. She was very grateful and proceeded to tell me, "Thank you...etc..etc..etc..". I responded in my typical MyADHDMe way:

"You realize that today would have cost you $110.00 if I had been charging you..."

DEFINITELY How To Ruin A Touching Moment In 5 Seconds Or Less.

15 comments:

Bonita said...

That's what a day with little kids can do to you sometimes. I'm sure since Kelly is the sweet, loving, kind, forgiving, saintly sister that she is, she understands.

Sue J. said...

I have to "ditto" Bonita here, because that was an excruciatingly long day for both of you. It's that time when the logical brain cells check out because they have been firing all day long. Too pooped to party any longer!

And what's really amazing is that both of you are offering to help me on Monday, despite everything that's happened since yesterday.

You can't hide the goodness of your hearts, even when words fail. It's totally OK. (CK, I know you just took a deep breath, yawned, and told her to go home....right?)

My ADHD Me said...

Oh yes. I should have clarified that we both laughed. We both also know I'm not good at "moments".
However, Sue J is right. She took a deep breath, yawned and told me to go home...of course she didn't have to tell me twice!

My ADHD Me said...

An Added note-After spending all day yesterday in the hospital, today she is home taking care of the kids AND her husband. This morning she took both kids to school and then went to hospital to pick him up. Her youngest is only in school until noon and the other til 2:00 so for today also, there will be no rest for the weary...

There are very few things that make CK grumpy. However, lack of sleep is one of them. If she has to get up every four hours tonight to give him his meds....she's going to be one irritated person tomorrow.
WHICH means, I'll be calling her later to see if I can help out tomorrow.

You realize that if I charged her again tomorrow she would owe me..... KIDDING!!

Kelly said...

People wonder why I have a rejection complex! Reminds me of when ET's son was diagnosed with his illness and I hugged her and she said "please don't touch me."

*sigh*

I am grumpy already. So tomorrow is sure to be extra irritable!

My ADHD Me said...

We love you CK.
It's just that issue of saying/showing it that doesn't come easy. WORKING ON IT!!
Hope you are getting at least a little bit of sleep and/or relaxing...though I am doubting it.

Kelly said...

Well, I wish I could have paid you $110! Alas, I cannot. Maybe insurance would cover it as a medical expense? LOL! J/K.

Your worth a million to me. Just not in cash. ;-) How about an IOU?

Edie said...

CK - I can't tell one bit by looking at you that you are tired or irritable! You still look Fabulous! :) Praying for you all.

ADHD-Jo - What a sweet, sweet sister you are for helping like that! What was that CK has said about you having the gift of service. Yep!

You are both really blessed to have each other.

Patient: 'I've got a terrible pain in my right arm, doctor.'
Doctor: 'Don't worry, it's just old age.'
Patient: 'But in that case, why doesn't my left arm hurt, too - I've had it just as long?'

RQ - Does an apple a day keep the doctor away?

OK, I'm going, I'm going....
:P

Kelly said...

Edie - Who are you calling old?? LOL!!!

All - Just talked to "ADHD" and her internet is down, so she won't be joining us in the chat room this evening. Her window of time tomorrow for the cable guy to come? 8 a.m . - 8 p.m. No kidding. So she'll be home if anyone wanted to go by and visit. LOL!

Edie said...

I didn't call anyone old. I wouldn't do that. The doctor called the arm old. Clearly I need to get some better material. :D

HisPrincess said...

Ah...that would be the dreaded "foot in mouth" disease that I have long battled with!

Note to self....engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

Not advice I take very often I have to admit!

Greg C said...

That sounds like something I would say. In jest of course. So how much did she pay you? Just kidding again. :)

Edie said...

Isn't it nice of ADHD-Jo to leave the door open for us to use the chat room while she's away.

Kelly said...

This chatroom is dead. The real party is over at Sue Js.

*wink*

Edie said...

WAHAHAHA!!

A great time was had by all.