Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Today is Tuesday,,,You Know What That Means 3-10-09 "Jesus Christ Superstar"

Today is Tuesday.
You know what that means.
We're gonna have a Special Guest!!

In just 2 more days, Chatty Kelly and I are going to see the musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

I am SO excited!!

We saw it MANY years ago (How long has it been, CK?)

It was t
hen and still is my #1 Favorite Musical of all time! I've called many others (Fiddler on the Roof, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Sound of Music) ONE of my favorites, but Jesus Christ Superstar is my #1 Favorite!! (I must make a comment that every time I type the word "Musical", I think of Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee and her deep and genuine LOVE for musicals.... ok.... NOT.... actually she isn't a huge fan of musicals but she does an incredible Maria from The Sound of Music!).

Before I play my clip for today, I need to take a few moments and talk about the controversy about Jesus
Christ Superstar. I know that some Christians regard it as blasphemous, but I disagree 100%. Very seldom will you find me debating religious topics. I believe in God. I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe He is the Son of God. I believe He died on the cross and rose again in 3 days to save every one of us. But if someone wants to debate.....I refer them to someone else that can back up what we know is true with facts from the Bible....someone a bit more knowledgeble.

I did some research on Jesus Christ Superstar...and Yes, as with most topics, everyone has an opinion. Many critics of this musical argue that because it ends with Christ's death and not the resurrection,
that it is Anti-Christian. OK, Spoiler alert*** We all know what happened 3 days after his death. When the play ends..... I don't think there is any acting or singing that could come close to the feelings I get....the sadness...the anticipation.... the reverance ..... the joy....The AWE. Its ending makes you Think and Feel.

After a bit of research, I have a few quotes about Jesus Christ Superstar. Some are For and some are Against.

Paster E L Bynum, Tabernacle Baptist Church, made these remarks regarding Jesus Christ Superstar, "Rotten to the core. Contains some of the most blasphemous statements we have ever heard. Even the most talented and dedicated musicians cannot make Rock Music honor the Lord. Rock Music should not be mixed with The Christian religion. It doesn't fit in church, nor can it be used to g
loify Christ anywhere else!".

Ted Neely, who played the part of Jesus in one of the tours said, "Fans by the dozen come backstage to meet me and share personal stories about how my performance brought them to Christianity...especially teens and preteens."

A review about the movie, by D.R. Devence, (movie Rated G) "Jesus Christ Superstar drove folks to religion like no other movie ever has or likely ever will. This movie made it "cool" to be Christian. Reguardless of their reasons, some of those people stayed with the church long after the effects from the movie wore off. How can any Christian complain about that?"

There will always be peop
le that are able to find fault with anything.
There are people that condemn or denounce The Left Behind Series, Christian pop/rock music, Veggie Tales, The Passion of The Christ, because they find them to be sacrilegious or blasphemous in one way or another.

One review I found interesting stated that many Christians found fault with Jesus Christ Superstar because of the scene where Jesus is praying at the Garden of Gethsemane. People found fault because it made Jesus look confused and, at times, unwilling to accept his fate.

Have you read Mark 14:35-36?..... " Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. "Abba, Father", he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what You will.""

This clip is from the movie. It is Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. It is long but I hope you watch the entire thing. It is sad and it is disturbing AND many of its lyrics are straight from the Bible.
We cannot imagine what Jesus felt at this time, but I think this scene strongly portrays my interpretation.MyADHDMe

">

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Is it just me, or are there crickets chirping in here?

I too love the musical. Of course there is always the danger of getting our theology ANYWHERE but the Bible. It is the authority. The musical is a man's interpretation. But as long as you go in knowing that, I think it's okay.

Most sermons are just a man's interpretation of the Bible too. And all of my blog posts are! Each person is reponsible for weighing what they see and hear against the Bible and judging for themselves.

Looking forward to it!

Beverlydru said...

I like this post. Hooray you are going to see this with Kelly. So many things are considered "sacriligious"... so they don't conform to "religious ettiquete." Well phooey, neither did Jesus. The quote about rock music took me back to when our children attended a wonderful Christian school where youth were getting saved every day. A powerful move of God was taking place. Music played a part. One school wouldn't come play in our gym because of the contemporary music. (Carmen for heaven's sake.) WE were also clearly instructed that if fans came to their games in pants, we weren't welcome. Yep, skirts are so practical in stadium seats. I went in jeans. And I'm still saved. "He (and she) whom the Son sets free is free indeed!" Amen.

Meredith said...

Well, I haven't ever seen it, but now I will need to go see just because......
Those naysayers probably said the same thing about Petra .....I think I need to go dig out my old tapes!!
I'm loving your blog, I came over from Heaven's blog, hope you don't mind. Monkeys ARE kinda funny, at least they will be from now on, and I WILL say a prayer for your teenage driver!! Blessed Week!

Sue J. said...

This is one of those things I haven't done yet....I have heard some of the tracks, but I've not seen the show in any format.

Based on the clip here, I can see how some folks might be confused with Jesus' character. But, as you so rightly say, look in the Book!! Jesus, the human man, definitely would have had thoughts as expressed in this song. Jesus, as God, comes through a little--in His acceptance of the will of God. You can suggest that maybe the lyrics go too far in the human direction....yeah, perhaps. Fact is, Jesus, of His own mind, chose to follow His Father's will. The End.

That is going to be an amazing song to take in through a theatrical performance. So many of these songs are huge! You will have an incredible evening.

Thanks for putting this in such a right perspective!

Kelly said...

Toby Mac is a huge Christian recording artist, and I love him. He is formerly of a group called DC Talk. They do Christian Rock/Rap.

Billy Graham invited them to open one of his stadium events. Billy got a LOT OF FLACK for having these "young rockers" at his event. Billy said when I go to a foreign country I have to have an interpreter to help me spread the message. If I'm going to reach the young people, I am going to need an "interpreter" too.

As hundreds of young people streamed forward to accept Christ, Toby Mac & Michael W. Smith sat with tears streaming down their face that Billy Graham had let them be a part of it. (June 11, 1994). (Story according to Michael W Smith as seen on Faith & Fame).

Edie said...

First let me say that this is a great post and look at you backing it up with scripture. Yay ADHD-Jo!!

I haven't seen this and honestly based on the video I remember why. LOL! I just don't like that style of music.

I have to say I would make the case (as Sue said some would) that this takes Jesus too far to the human side. In the Bible He understands what His purpose is and why it needs to be accomplished. In Gethsemene He struggled with the human emotions of not wanting to endure it. I also think the song sounds a little prideful.

So as you said, it needs to be confirmed by Biblical standards AND by asking God to reveal what is Truth and what is twisted.

I do hope you both have fun! I'll sit this one out, thanks. LOL!

Greg C said...

Ok back in the day, our youth group put on the play in our church. Well many of the elders refused to come to see it so our preacher got them together and explained what it was all about. Very similar to what ADHD said by the way. Well the play went on and it was a packed house. I was going to sing but I missed a few practices so they gave my part away. Truth was I was too shy to sing a solo but just think where I might be today if I had done it. I had a really great voice. You can say what you want about the play but anything that teaches someone about Jesus is just allright by me. Did ya catch that? :)

Oh and I still remember my song, over 30 years later;

"Tell the rabble to be quiet, we anticipate a riot, this common crowd is much too loud.

Tell the men that sing your song that they are fools and you are wrong......"

I sang base by the way.

Great post.

Kelly said...

I would've loved to hear Greg sing that. That's my favorite song!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I think I know every word to every song in that musical! I think that the people who criticize it are Pharasiacal and way to rule driven. MY Jesus did not only die so that I might have life, but HE died so that I might live it to the fullest (John 10:10). I wish I could go with you....I have my beads and granny skirt and peasant blouse at the ready...have a wonderful time!

My ADHD Me said...

Greg...you had the coolest part. That guys voice is like 4 times lower than the lowest bass normally goes.....
"Why waste your breath...moaning at the crowd? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting. if every tongue was still the noise would still continue. The rocks and stones themselves would start to SING!!!!

A&OX4- I know all the words too. My mom had the album and it came with a song book of the words. I'm sure it will take every bit of self restraint to keep myself from singing along.

Yoo Hoo- JEANS!! You Go Girl!!

Edie- Yes, I wouldn't take you as the hippie Age of Aquarious music type....I won't even mention HAIR!
I appreciate your response. I know that musical isn't for everyone. But I do think that anything that attracts young people enough to investigate is a good thing. Maybe they'll hear the words and then check out the Bible to see if it is accurate. Regardless...this musical did get the younger generation of its day to think about religion. And THAT is a really good thing!

Meredith- Thanks for visiting. I'll be stopping by to say hi shortly.

Sue- As always, I can count on you to understand and help me put into words what is in my mind. (sometimes they get lost en route).

Kelly- See ya Thursday!!!!!!!
The crickets are getting fainter in the night.

Marla said...

I haave never seen the musical. But in highschool we did a concert with songs from Jesus Christ Superstar. You wouldn't be able to sing that in public schools now.