Friday, March 12, 2010

FINALLY-- Flashback Friday w/ Mocha With Linda















Memes Memes everywhere.
I had decided not to do any more regular weekly memes but when I saw the new meme that Mocha With Linda has started, I knew that this was one I would have to join in on. SO, although it is completely unlike me to change my mind, ahem, I have decided to join in.

Flashback Friday is a series of questions about situations or events from your past.

Here is today's.

This week's flashback revolves around our early driving experiences:
How and when did you learn to drive? Do you have any particular memories associated with getting your driver license? How old were you when you got your first car and what was it? Who paid for it?

First of all, I would much rather write about another of my earlier cars. It was a combination wedding/Christmas gift from my dad when I was 18 years old. (By the way, don't get married at 18 years old...but that's another flashback all together.) Opps, we're talking about cars here.

Now we are supposed to be talking about our first car so I won't go into detail about the 1963 VW Karman Ghia that I mentioned earlier. I won't talk about how incredibly cool it was......I mean how incredibly cool it LOOKED. It was a 2 seater, hot red with a sunroof. I'm not going to talk about that car, but if I did I
would mention that on a perfect day, with perfect weather that car was COOL. If I was going to talk about that car I would comment, however, that without any air conditioning, the Virginia humidity and heat made summer days a bit uncomfortable. If I was going to talk about that car I would mention that due to the fact that there was also no heater, the winter days just a wee bit uncomfortable. By wee bit, I mean that I had to bundle up like I was going on an Arctic sleigh ride just to go to the store. I won't mention the lack of a defroster and that I had to literally scrape the ice off of the inside of the windshield after about every mile. Also, if I was talking about this car, I would have to comment about the fact that when it rained, the sunroof leaked.....ok, it poured. I really didn't mind driving while wearing a raincoat because I needed it anyway since the windshield wipers didn't work. Therefore, it would be pouring down raining and I had to keep my window all the way down so that I could stick my arm out the window and manually push the windshield wipers back and forth just so that I could see.

Oh yeah, we aren't talking about this car. HOWEVER, if we were, I would have to mention the fact that those cars were notorious for dropping trans-axles which were about $500-$600 to fix back in 1982. I actually fixed it the first time. The second time I got out of the car, called a friend to pick me up, left the car on the side of the road, looked back one time to see that both wheels had somehow ended up laying down on their sides like it was kneeling. I saluted it, turned around, walked away, and never saw it again.

BUT we aren't talking about that car.

My first car was my pare
nt's Station Wagon. You know, the "cool" ones that had the brown wood paneling down the side...lol. I think it probably looked something like this.










But you know what....It was my first car and I thought I was pretty cool just having something to drive. I was 15 1/2 (way too young to have a license in my opinion...although I may have disagreed then). Not sure what ever happened to it but I imagine my driving did not help extend its life.

Then there was the GM Gremlin. My parents were mad at me and were going to sell it. I got my boyfriend to buy it and boy were my parents annoyed when I ended up driving it home. It drove pretty well once I got the string tied to the accelerator pedal to lift it up ( by hand) when ever I was ready to stop. Then, one day I went to put something in the hatchback. I closed it and the entire back window shattered. *sigh*. For $200 you would expect something a little better, eh? OK, Maybe not.








<span class=MyADHDMe" border="0">



9 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

This was definitely worth the wait! I knew you would have quite a story!

Kelly said...

At least the car looked good, if nothing else.

Edie said...

Ah the good ole days. LOL!

I had a Gremlin when I was pregnant. The only time during my pregnancy I ever got sick was one time while I was driving that car. The window wouldn't roll down and the door got stuck so I couldn't get out. It was not a pretty sight. :)

Nel said...

A gremlin, that was what I wanted when I was in school, with a big Old English Sheepdog to ride shotgun. hmmmm... dreams of teenagers. lol Enjoyed your story.

until next time... nel

Heidi said...

The little red Giddy-up that you refused to talk about was quite the looker- at least in that picture.

We had the same "Woody" station wagon you pictured here. My sister put it in reverse, when it was parked on a hill during a family picnic and it rolled down backwards and crashed into a tree. She was about 4 years old when she totaled that wagon. Just think of the damages we could have stacked up if our two families had been next door neighbors back in the day! And matching station wagons in the driveway...boy.

I enjoyed your story. You gave some very good advice there. Thanks for the flashback!

KrippledWarrior said...

a station wagon then is an SUV today! You weren't out of style. Just ahead of your time.

Beverlydru said...

Oh mercy, I can relate to this. Mine was a cherry red VW bug that looked great too. What a nightmare. They say "never judge a book by its cover...well, I might add "never judge a car by its paint job." Sigh. Expensive lesson. $600 in repairs is still alot now but it was the treasury then.

P.S. I loved your stories about your Grammy you recalled in your comment this week.

Jenny wren's nest said...

My mom had a gremlin when I was a kid, don't know why, she had 4 kids.
and my brothers where all tall boys. Jenny

gianna said...

My mom had a Gremlin, too, when I was a kid! I think she paid $100 for it which I thoguth was TONS of money (I was in 2nd grade). In the winter, my brother and I would climb up to the roof and slide down. My mom STILL talks about us doing that. It was so AWESOME! I LOVED the green Gremlin!