Monday, June 30, 2008

The Spider's Web of CSI

I just got off the phone with CK.

I called her because I had a quick question about something....can't remember what it was.....but something that a 2 minute conversation would cover. That was approx 50 minutes ago.

We'd probably still be on the phone but her doorbell rang and she had to go....actually, I didn't actually hear the doorbell but she SAID it did, so it must have. HHmmm, her door bell is very loud. I think I would have heard it...maybe I wouldn't have...we WERE talking an awful lot...ok, I'm sure the doorbell really MUST have rang and she really needed to get off the phone. But then again.....

A phone call between CK and I is a truly exhausting thing. Most of my readers know her and know me well enough to know that we aren't lacking in the talking department. As a matter of fact, CK said that carrying on a conversation with me actually causes her to feel like she has ADHD.

We both talk and we talk and we talk.....writing that kind of makes me think about that book....."the mother crept into the room and picked up that big sleeping man and They Rocked and They Rocked and They Rocked" (cold shiver)

opps, losing focus, monkey's are funny....

Anyway we both have SO much to say and OF COURSE it it all such VERY important stuff. For instance, "Did you see the last episode of CSI?".....we then give a quick commentary on past episodes which makes us think of parts that are referred to other episodes. We then decided that CSI had become like an addiction for us and we're glad that is no longer the case (Case, did you say Case , as in the Case where Greg got promoted to a CSI, as in the CASE where Gil and Sarah hooked up, as in CASE where Nick was locked underground in that box.......opps, wrong kind of case). ANYWAY, We would wait eagerly every week for the new episode. We couldn't wait until Friday mornings so we could discuss the episode from the previous night. We would discuss what happened, why it happened, what SHOULD have happened and what WILL happen. We talked about the characters like they were real people. We even made certain that if we weren't going to be home on a Thursday night that there would always be 2 forms of back up to tape it, ie VCR/TiVo/ or a friend taping it. Sounds a bit obsessive, eh?

Then the writers strike happened and we didn't watch it for a while. When the strike ended we no longer had that NEED to watch it. After weeks of withdrawal and detoxing we had kicked the CSI habit. We were no longer ADDICTED to CSI. We still enjoyed it but we didn't need it. It is SO nice to not have that NEED to be home on Thursday nights holding me back. It is SO nice to be free.

Well, CK and I were talking and I asked her if she had seen the season finale episode. She had missed it and so had I. I DID however, find it on On Demand. I didn't watch it right away, there was no need (anymore).

One night when there was nothing else on I went ahead and watched it. I felt that old feeling come back. My eyes started to get that glazed over look, I was sitting up straighter on the edge of the sofa, I casually turned up the volume so as to not miss a word. Euphoric! Since it was On Demand I quickly paused it and ran back to my room and climbed on my bed so I could watch it without interuption and give it my full attention. I don't think I blinked or breathed thru the entire episode. The ending was in slow motion, unexpected, shocking and all the other things that are expected in a good episode of CSI. When it was over, I rewound part of it to make sure I hadn't missed something I had not been sure of. Now there won't be any more new episodes until the fall. What to do? HHmmmmm.....

You know, most alcoholics don't like to drink alone. Most drug addicts will gladly "give" you that first high. Addiction is so-called "much more fun" if you can share it with someone. I KNOW for a fact that I did not call CK because of that episode of CSI. BUT, somewhere during the conversation it drifted towards this...

"Hey CK, did you see the last episode of CSI?"
"No, I missed it."
"Yeah, me too. Did you know, you can get it on On Demand?" (spoken very casually in an off- hand sort of way.)
"Really, I didn't know that."
"Sure, want me to tell you how?"
"I'm pretty sure I can figure it out."
"Are you sure?, I'll tell you how anyway...(explains what buttons to push). It was a really great episode. The ending had a huge build up and was a shocker"
"HHmm, sound good, I think I will watch it later....no rush......oh, someones at my door I gotta go....bye"

Yeah, right. HaHa. Jiggle the line and PULL. I got her, Hook, Line, and Sinker!!

We'll just watch a few episodes. We won't obsess over it. We can stop any time we want to. Really. I can stop now if I really wanted to. there's nothing wrong with once in a while though. It's not like I NEED to watch it.

Well, I'm gonna go now. I need (I mean want...really want....not need) to check out CBS.com to see when they will start airing the new seasons shows this fall. I think I'll go get my VCR serviced....just for kicks....for the kids....not me....really....

Oh, and CK----JK!! I know your door bell really rang. You don't NEED to watch CSI right now. Wait until tonight when the kids are asleep. If you need help finding it on ON Demand, just call me, I'll be here......glad to help............

Another quote from an old favorite movie, Mammy is talking to Scarlett...she could have been talking to me..."You'll be sitting there, waiting. Just like a spider!"


P.S. I have absolutely NO idea what I had actually called her for in the first place.

7 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

I've never watched CSI but I remember you guys talking about it on Friday mornings. It did sound like ya'll really knew the characters. It sounded oh so juicy! I can see where the addiction came in! :)

Bonita said...

Hi CK's sister! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can see that writing genes don't just belong to one member of the family, talking genes either for that matter. Ya'll are a really communicative bunch aren't you? Love your writing style!

As for CSI, I'm not hooked on it (like some people appear to be- hee hee) but I do enjoy a good episode now and then. I like to guess the ending before it gets there. My hubby says I would have made a great prosecuting attorney (usually says that after an argument), detective, or crime scene investigator.

Since the new season won't start for a while I guess you'll just have to watch reruns and blog more.

HisPrincess said...

You know it's really scary that your conversation jumped all over the place, and I easily followed along!

Great to meet you! I'm not addicted to CSI, watch it occasionally, but Grays Anatomy, now that is another matter. Like you I weaned myself off during the writers strike, but I'm sucked back in now!

Kelly said...

The doorbell DID ring. It was the CSI team, they needed to take a look around for something. Warrick acted like he left something in the car so he could go back to take some pills. Nick reflected on his childhood visits to a similar lake. The wind blew Katherine's hair...and only her hair. Grissom refered to the insects that naturally inhabited the lake. Greg mentioned the great fishing that could probably be done...and then they saw it...floating in the lake.....

Kelly said...

Just so you know, the on demand feature shows the last 4 shows aired. Since it is summer and they are airing reruns, they have 4 reruns on there. NOT the season finale.

So thanks for getting my hopes up for NOTHING. I even checked the website, and they have the same 4 reruns to watch. Rats.

Edie said...

HaHaHa!!

Edie said...

Why does the If You Hear What I Say, Then You Heard What I Said link go here? Did I miss something important?